By Yerachmiel Lopin (Frum Follies blog)
February 9, 2017
Moshe Friedman got a sweetheart deal which kept him out of jail and off the sex offender registry when he pled guilty on February 1, 2017 to a misdemeanor charge of “child endangerment” (NY Daily News).
Some of his defenders will say he didn’t really do anything serious. Maybe he just slapped a boy who was misbehaving. But you won’t say that after you read the police report with allegations of a string of sadistic sexual tortures that led to his indictment for multiple felony acts which could have put him in prison for decades.
According to the signed and sworn police report which was the basis of his indictment: The People of the State of New York County of Kings v Moshe Friedman:
…Between September 01, 2013 … and June 06, 2014 … at … [a yeshiva in Boro Park], the defendant … on multiple incidents per month …
- Did strike the informant’s hand with defendant’s hand when informant’s hand was injured and treated with a cast
- Did place defendant’s hand on the informant’s exposed buttocks
- Did grab the informant’s penis,
- Did insert the defendant’s finger into the informant’s anus
- Did insert a banana into the informant’s anus
- Did put the defendant’s mouth on the informant’s buttocks
- Did place the informant’s penis inside the defendant’s mouth
- Did bite the informant’s penis with defendant’s mouth
- Did tie a string around the informant’s penis
- Did shove a rag into the informant’s mouth
- Did tie the informant’s lips shut with string
- Did display a gun to the informant and state to the informant in sum and substance, “you’d better not tell your parents, or I’ll kill you and your family.”
The … [boy was born in] 2007.
And yet, no jail time and no inclusion on the sex offender registry. All this because the child was unable or unwilling to testify and because the DA probably did not beat the bushes to find other victims that might have testified.
The family might have been afraid to have their son to testify because they were going to be up against, Arthur Aidala., Brooklyn’s highest paid criminal defense lawyer. Aidala got the conviction of Baruch [Mordechai] Lebovitz overturned on appeal and then got a plea deal with only a few more months of jail time. Aidala was the closest of buddies with former DA Charles Hynes and used that connection to influence DA staff.
The current DA, Eric Gonzalez was part of the old Hynes machine. So they had to worry the fix might be in. Most Hasidim in Brooklyn assume the fix is in with the DA. Everyone in Brooklyn who pays attention to these matters know the DA is pressured by the Haredi community to go easy on orthodox sex abusers. Everyone also knows that a DA running for election or reelection, courts the Haredi block vote. And Gonzalez is running for election to the position to which he was just appointed after the death of DA Ken Thompson.
The family may also have been worried that Aidala would earn his high fees by brutalizing the child if he went on the stand.
In all likelihood, the family may have been intimidated by their Haredi community into going easy on Moshe Friedman. Shamefully, most of the community still believes that keeping a fellow Jew out of jail is important even if he is known to be a child molester.
So at the end of the day they settled for a misdemeanor of child endangerment which isn’t even explicitly about sexual abuse. But have no doubt about the basis of the conviction. Look at the probation terms for the next three years (Daily News). Moshe Friedman must:
- Surrender his Department of Education teaching license
- Never contact the victim or be around anyone under the age of 18
- Not speak to other sex offenders
- Not watch pornography
- Not make calls to phone-sex services
- Not use the computer to view sexual material
Incredibly there isn’t even a requirement for psychological treatment on a continuing basis.
At the end of the day I say NO THANK YOU to:
- The Brooklyn DA Eric Gonzalez and his head of sex crimes, Miss Gregory.
- The Haredi community that intimidates victims
- Agudah and any rabbi who claims you need a rabbi to decide whether sex crimes should be reported to the police
- Those who funded the lawyer at ~$800 an hour
- Shomrim which will not publicize the danger posed by Friedman
- Every Haredi askan who leans on the DA to go easy on Haredim who abuse their children
I know that I wouldn’t let him anywhere near children and I would want other parents to be warned. That is why almost anyone knowing these facts would want him on the sex offender registry. But since he isn’t, folks will have to spread the word on their own.
If you know of other criminal acts by Moshe Friedman share this information with the sex crimes unit (aka Special Victims Unit of the NYPD @ (718) 230-4416) even if they happened in another jurisdiction or they are past the statute of limitations, or you are not personally willing to pursue prosecution. Any additional information could help lead to an additional conviction, or to the alteration of the terms of probation, or to his imprisonment for violating the terms of his probation. If they happened in another jurisdiction contact the sex crimes unit in that jurisdiction. If they involved crossing state or international lines in any manner, contact the FBI.
If you know the whereabouts of Moshe Friedman or the organizations in which he is involved please share them with me. You can leave a comment on this post. If you request, the comment will never be seen by anyone else. Just be sure to leave an accurate email address, or another method by which I can reach you such as a phone number, a FaceBook account, or a Twitter handle.
- Eric Aiken who first brought this case to my attention and first reported it in “The List” of orthodox sex offenders on his website, Protect Jewish Kids.
- Christina Carrega who covered this story in the Daily News.
- Others who prefer to remain unnamed but helped bring this story to light or assisted me in developing the components of this post.